In my previous blog post, I talk about how I rarely eat bacon because it’s so expensive at the store. Well, every now and then, Publix will have some brand of bacon on sale. So I bought a pack. After using most of it for my multiple dishes of 5 Ingredient Pasta, I had about 5 slices left. And I had chicken, and something inside me said to make my own honey mustard sauce, so here we are. Bacon Wrapped Honey Mustard Chicken. Add to a pile of rice or a side salad and dinner is ready.
Over the past like, 10 Christmas’s or so, I’ve been steadily asking for kitchen appliances, gadgets, utensils, etc. You know, a Kitchen Aid Mixer to Food Network Spatulas. Anything that would help me make advanced dishes to simple ones is what I’d ask for. I’ve also collected several hand me downs from aunts and grandmas (HELLO copper bottom saucepans).
The reason I’m telling you this is because when I’m cooking in someone else’s kitchen, most of the time, they don’t have the arsenal of things I have in order to make cooking a breeze. The first time I made this, I was not in my kitchen. I was in a kitchen with not a sharp knife to be seen.
This recipe followed through, though, and gave us the most tangy, savory chicken pieces you could ever ask for.
For the honey mustard sauce, it really takes five minutes to make. You can use a store bought sauce if you want, but the components are probably already in your kitchen, so why not try it? I feel a sense of pride whenever I make something myself that could be bought in the store. Homemade is almost always better and you feel a bit fancy whisking all those ingredients into one happily fused sauce.
I also like to add spicy brown mustard, mostly because I just really like it. One of my favorite snacks is slices of turkey and cheese rolled up with some spicy brown squeezed in the middle.
As for the chicken, it’s incredibly crucial to ensure each piece is similar in size. Otherwise, you’ll have one piece that’s perfectly cooked and one that’s so dry it’s almost inedible (I’m not talking from experience or anything…). To avoid this, you can pound out each piece with a meat tenderizer (I’m not ashamed to say I used the bottom of a meatloaf pan) until they’re about the same size.
Bacon Wrapped Honey Mustard Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts, each breast cut into 2 strips
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
For the honey mustard sauce:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients for honey mustard sauce. Whisk and set aside.
- Cut each chicken breast in half, then pound to ensure each piece is about the same size.
- Season with garlic salt and onion powder. Then drizzle about a tablespoon or so of honey mustard on chicken.
- Take one slice of bacon and wrap around each piece, then drizzle more honey mustard sauce onto chicken.
- Transfer chicken onto sheet pan and bake for about 20 minutes until juices run clear. You can also drizzle more sauce on the chicken about halfway through the cooking process, if desired.
- Serve immediately with leftover honey mustard for dipping.